SMS diary

Posted: Sunday, May 02, 2010 by Stained in Labels: , , , , ,
1

I have this bad habit of backing up all my old sms messages on my PC because I like to look back at them once in a while. Before buying my Sony Ericsson P1i, I used to use the software ‘My phone explorer’ to back everything up i.e. contacts, sms, notes etc. It was convenient and easy to use. The only problem I had was that the time and date for the sent messages would not be recorded by the software due to some symbian OS limitations (I think). This was really annoying because what’s the point of having those sms messages if I couldn’t know what date I send them on.

One of the main reasons I bought the P1i was for its unlimited sms storing capabilities unlike other Sony Ericsson phones that had a limit of 200 messages. After using the mobile for almost a year (Sept 08-Oct 09), I realized that the P1i in fact did not have unlimited sms storing capabilities. I had a total of 2460 messages on the phone which was causing it to crash. This meant I had to back up everything which also meant losing the dates for the sent messages. So I decided to look for an alternative way to back up the messages. That’s when I found SMS diary. It needs to be installed on the phone and takes a long while to get all the messages backed up but it does exactly what I want it to do i.e. does not lose the date and time of the sent messages and sorts the messages (sent and received together) in a name plus date order which is perfect to look back at.

It’s not a free software (costs $10 I think) but is perfect for my need. I just backed up my messages again and it worked without an issue. I highly recommend it to any user who’s still stuck on symbian based phones.

1 comments:

  1. Anonymous says:

    all the new phones virtually can store and keep the archive for zillion sms's.. however the problem is not with storing them but the amount of memory the phone need everytime you open the sms browser inside your phone.. that causes even the latest phones to clung to load and list the sms's for you.

    I hardly use sms'ing anymore for the past 3years.. perhaps the reason is I use the Blackberry...

    personal emails and messages are flushed every month for me... they add no value to me.. coz they are just a bunch of forwards and stuff that I dont look back at... reading my ex-girl emails or sms are a big no way and I will never give a chance to anyone even if the chance is 0.000001% to view them... everything is deleted including stuff exchanged between myself and my friends.. This is called personal life.. and in the digital world nothing is safe

    however, I have business emails and messages archived since 2004 as my business emails are so important that I always occasionally need them for my work.

Bookmark and Share